Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Choosing Not To Be Angry

I was supposed to meet a buyer this evening but I waited almost an hour but she did not turned up. I tried calling her a few times but her phone was engaged. She did mention that her phone could not receive calls so we agreed to meet at a specific location at a specific time, just like the good old days where there was no mobile phone. I knew there was a risk of her not turning up but I trust that she would honour her words.
I arrived 10 mins earlier for our appointment as I thought she might be early too. I waited and waited, every time I felt like leaving, I told myself to wait for another 5 mins, as she might be held up by some urgent matters. As I near the hour mark, I was convinced she was not coming. I could sense that my disappointment was slowly turning into anger as I started to have thoughts of wanting to give her a piece of my mind by sending her an angry message for her no-show.
Then, I asked myself this, how does getting angry and blasting her upside down benefit me? It could not compensate the time lost, it could not get the deal done, it would only serve to generate more negative emotions that would affect me emotionally and physically. So, I decided not to get angry and instead focus on how to solve my problem. The solution revolves around how to sell my product, not how to get even with the buyer. I know it is my choice not to go down the path of anger and destruction, because it is counterproductive and only creates more suffering for everyone.
On a happier note, a youth approached me as I was leaving to request for a wireless hotspot as he couldn't find his buyer too and needed Internet access to message that person. I get to give an act of kindness despite just going through an unpleasant experience.
So, the next time anger hits you, remember this, you always have a choice not to react to it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment