Sunday, March 19, 2017

Amazing Things Happen When You Believe in It

Amazing things can happen, when you believe in it.
Almost 3.5 yrs ago, I started a cause to promote kindness. It wasn't the most popular thing to do actually, as compared topics relating to food, parenting, investment or buy/ sell. The hardest was to get people to buy-in your idea and to believe that what you are pursing is worth their attention and time, especially when we live so busy lifestyles and hardly had time for anything.
It was a one man mission right from the start; me writing the blog, creating the page then the group, all with a common aim of encouraging kindness. Initially, there was hardly any response, people I added to our group left and requested not to be added again. I went around asking the popular influencers/ bloggers for help to do some publicity for our project but none responded. It was the moment when the tennis ball was going to hit the ground, and also the lowest the project could go. Because the tennis ball bounced off higher and higher after that.
Soon, people start to see the value in this project, the cause and that all the sharing serve a certain purpose. You see, inside our hearts, you can always find love. It is a matter how deep we hide inside us, often wrapped by the harsh reality of life. When we can slowly peel off layers by layers, like an onion, the love will appear.
When we have more support, the members requested to join in, instead of involuntarily being added by me. Then, we started to make an impact, little by little, especially to cases that fell outside the government safety net. We have a few urgent cases seeking help and at times I found myself swept by tens and even hundreds of PMs, waiting for me to respond. It was stressful but at the same time rewarding to know that a single individual is able to carry so much responsibilities on his shoulder.
Fast forward to this day, we have more than 10,000 members in our group but I am no longer the face that runs the place. I have handed over the main duties of managing the group to my capable admins. I believe in empowering people to achieve their full potential more than building a legacy to my name. I am heartened to see our kindness community grow, to see leaders born and to witness hope growing. And yet, we can do so much more, not just from the few of us, but everyone. A million of us giving just $1 each, we would have assembled $1M.
My sharing is to encourage you that if you have a dream or a goal, be bold in pursuing it, because you never know how far you can go until you try. Sometimes, you may feel like you are reaching the rock bottom, but that could be turning point you need to bounce you off higher after that. Believe in your strength and potential, just like how I have believed in mine and everyone else's. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment