Sunday, March 19, 2017

My Fundraising for Children with Cancer

Dear Friends,
As you tuck your child to bed, read a bedtime story and pat your child to sleep, as you reflect on a tiring day both at work and at home, you probably didn't realise that somewhere in Singapore, an exhausted parent could have spent countless sleeping nights caring for a sick child, she could be praying for successful surgery or a negative test result, she could be on the verge of despair due to all the emotional trauma of seeing her child suffer, coupled with a mounting medical bill.
Caring for a child is a tiring process, caring for a child who succumb to a prolonged illness like cancer is the fatigue multiplied many times. It is also an emotional roller-coaster for the parents, filled with fears, worries and anxiety, when they see their child go through the painful treatment process.
I hope to do more in my personal capacity for these families, which is why I am starting this fundraising campaign. In the past few years, I have campaigned for events, volunteers groups and individuals who are in need of urgent help and donation, but this will be the first ever fundraising project I am hosting.
My objectives for this fundraising project:
1. Raise funds for Children Cancer Foundation (CCF). I have good faith that CCF has helped many families deal with the heavy financial burden of medical treatment. Personally, I have seen CCF help Baby Aden (baby boy who was diagnosed with Leukaemia at just 3 months) subsidise a huge bulk of his treatment cost. Till date, CCF has helped Aden's family with almost $300,000 in surgery fees, chemotherapy and transplant cost. This is great testimonial that CCF is not willing to give up on any child despite the heavy cost.
2. Make a bald statement. Yes, I am going to shave bald to show moral support to cancer patient, especially young children, and to tell them that it is okay to be bald. It is a daunting thought to shave bald but I know I am blessed that I can shave voluntarily, rather than have hair dropped off due to the effect of treatment. I know I am no David Beckham, so I will definitely be conscious on how people look at me but this is nothing compared to what the cancer patients are going through. With your support, I will find the courage to pull this off.
3. To tell everyone that you can contribute to the betterment of this world in your own unique ways. If an ordinary person like myself can raise a humble amount of $100, imagine what a million of us can raise? yes, 100 Million dollars to charity! It may not be shaving for charity, it could be other things, something that you are good at, e.g. baking, crafts, running for charity.
4. Building the community spirit to help one another. I can shave, I can campaign but if there is no one supporting, then we achieve nothing at all. Your support towards this cause will help build our community spirit, something we need to help one another get through the toughest times, that will be our biggest safety net.
As I seek your support for this campaign, I ask of you to donate within your means. If your means is $1 or $2, I am equally grateful and appreciative for your support. Remember, if a million people donate $2 each, we would have $2 million. It does not matter how much you donate, what matters is we are in this together. Also, I have worked with CCF to create a fund raising page (see link below) so that all your donations go directly to CCF and not a single cent through me.
On behalf of CCF, the children suffering from cancer and their parents, I thank you for your selfless contribution and act of kindness. May Life bless you with good health, peace and happiness and may you continue to spread the love around. To the parents and children suffering from cancer, don't give up because everyone is right behind you, to fight this battle with you. Stay strong and keep going, good times are just round the corner.
My fundraising page (click "Donate to this event"):
https://www.ccf.org.sg/giving/fundraisng_event.php?id=fundraising-for-children-with-cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment