Monday, September 30, 2013

PARKing in a MRT Station

On my way home back home today, I entered a lift inside a MRT station. I was one of the first few to enter so I moved to press the lift button to the designated level. As the lift was reaching the platform level, I noticed that my train was coming. It could have been easy to exit the lift because I was standing near the door. However, I thought that it would be a kind gesture for me to press the "door open" button and allow all passengers to exit first, despite knowing I might miss my train. Most of the passengers who came out did not bother show any appreciation but I wasn't expecting any either. However, there was a lady, almost the last to leave the lift, who was very appreciative of my action. She was sincerely thanking me and even tried to use her hands to stop the door from closing when I was exiting the lift, as I was carrying my office bag and another plastic bag full of stuff. I felt good to be appreciated despite expecting nothing in return.


I feel that there are many opportunities present in our daily lives that allow us to engage in acts of kindness, even in the MRT station. We can be kind by queuing for our turn to board the train. We can be kind by moving in to the center of the train to allow more passengers to board. We can be kind by moving out first and not blocking the doorway if we are standing near the door, though it is not our stop to alight. We can be kind by giving up our seats (not necessary the reserved seats) to someone who needs it more than us. When there is an empty seat, we can be kind to see if there is anyone (someone older/ more frail/ pregnant/ young kids) who may need the seat more than us before taking the seat. When there are so many opportunities present, it is not difficult to engage in acts of random kindness on a regular basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment