Saturday, September 28, 2013

What is your P.A.R.K. Moment?

One week into P.A.R.K., I would like to share some of my P.A.R.K. moments and hopefully it can inspire you to define your P.A.R.K moments and keep the ball rolling.

1. Yahoo Answers
Yahoo! Answers is a community-driven question-and-answer (Q&A) site launched by Yahoo! that allows users to both submit questions to be answered and answer questions asked by other users all over the world. I thought it is one of the most easiest way to reach out to those in need and to spread kindness around. Having lived through over three decades, I am sure some of my life experiences would help others in one way or another. I have answered questions with regards to tourism, education and volunteerism and will continue to contribute more in time to come. I feel good when my answer is voted as the "Best Answer". You really don't need a lot of time to participate in this act of kindness, a mere 5 mins of your time may make a lot of difference to the person in need of some kind advice or attention.



2. Giving up your seat to someone more needy
This PARK moment is even easier to achieve. It takes a mere few seconds to complete, doesn't require any brain power and opportunities are abundant in our everyday lives. In this week, I am proud to say that I gave up my seat on two separate occasions to two elderly aunties; one in a bus and the other at a bus-stop. I feel great to see the grateful look on their faces. Recently, there has been a debate on whether commuters should give up their seats to the more needy on public transport, especially if they had already paid for the fare and should enjoy the entitlement. However, if we have the heart to give, it really doesn't matter how much you paid for your fare or what you are entitled to, it is more of how you care for a fellow human being and being kind enough to give up your entitlement to make someone happy. Real generosity is doing something for others without wanting anything in return.

3. Making Donations
We often see students or volunteers participating in "Flag Day" events on the street, especially during the weekends. I personally have been through a few "Flag Day" events myself and it is not exactly an easy task for the volunteers. You need to sacrifice your personal time during the weekends to stand long hours in the open and take the initiative to ask from the public to donate for a good cause. Of all the people you approach, there is a high chance that more than half will shun you. However, one must keep the faith that the donations collected, no matter how small the amount, through collective efforts with the rest of the volunteers, can make a big difference to the beneficiaries. Therefore, if we cannot spare the time to participate in a such a volunteer activity, the very least we can do is to make a small donation to these volunteers and their beneficiaries. I donated 50 cents today, it is a very small amount and may only buy you a packet of tissue in Singapore. However, if there are 1 million Singaporeans like myself donating today, then the beneficiaries will be enriched with half a million dollars of donations. That is the spirit of P.A.R.K, through small and simple random acts of kindness one at a time, we can all make a BIG difference to the world.



There are many more examples of P.A.R.K. moments that I can think of and carry out. I will be sharing more with you in time to come. Hopefully, we can build a community where we are constantly sharing with each other our P.A.R.K moments, for life !

No comments:

Post a Comment