Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Donation of Ring Tabs

Sharing another of Jason Cai's adventure of venturing into the unknown, seeking answers and inspirations when all seems lost and finally finding it all when the law of attraction brings me yet another pleasant surprise.
This thread which I shared last July on donating ring tabs for a good cause was bumped up recently by friends stating that they have collected ring tabs and waiting to donate it away. However, the project "Ring For Lives" have ceased collection due to lack of storage space, high rental cost since July this year. They did not state when they will resume collection.
I tried searching a few times on the Internet and found many past projects doing it and but all of them have discontinued. I later found out that it was a lot effort doing the cleaning, storing, packing and then sending over to Thailand to make the prosthetic limbs. I tried searching in Facebook and could find anything other than "Ring For Life" the first few times. I thought I would have given up but somehow I went back to search again and found my friend, Victor Lim, doing a similar project back in 2012. Though he mentioned that he had discontinued the project, I went ahead to ask him if he is still collecting (no harm asking if he knew other sources collecting). I received the confirmation that the project was discontinued but the lead did not end there as he managed to find out further info for me and informed me that NEA is collecting ring tabs currently. I am also thankful that Victor went the extra mile to help me find the contact person in NEA as I tried to contact NEA but there was no reply.
I received a confirmation email today from the in-charge from NEA that they are still collecting and that donors can send to the ring tabs at the b/m location.
Contact Person: Coral (not Carol)
Contact no: 68546462
Address: 4545 Jalan Bukit Merah
Time to send collection 12pm to 6pm
Victor also shared with me that the operational model of Prostheses Foundation of H.R.H The Princess Mother (Thailand) had changed slightly. Instead of the ring tabs being used directly to make prosthetic limbs, they would be melted and made into aluminium blocks to sell to aluminium factory, with the proceeds being used to buy titanium metal, which would make lighter and more durable limbs.
Thank you very much for making the effort to collect the ring tabs, though you may not know where you can donate them. Thank you all for your support and kindness!

No comments:

Post a Comment