Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Don't Give Reasons Not To Help

Was rushing off to my intended destination when I saw an old frail hunching elderly pulling a luggage that was higher than half his height. I walked past him as he walked towards where I came from, an overhead bridge. I thought to myself, "This old Uncle can't possibly want to cross that overhead bridge, is he?" Out of curiosity, I turned and saw him indeed trying to cross the bridge. I went over to offer to help him carry the luggage and realized it was not light at all. I cant imagine how is he going to carry it over himself or how long he will take to cross over. When we reached the top of the bridge, I asked Uncle why he didn't want to use the pedestrian crossing, he mentioned that the traffic lights junction was too far. We finally reached the other side and Uncle was very thankful.
It is easy to turn a blind eye to someone is need of help. I can tell myself that I am already late, next time then. I can say that my back isn't too good and not advisable to carry the heavy luggage (without even carrying it to see if it's light or heavy). I am not going to tell anyone that I did not help when I could have, since there was no one around anyway. However, for every reason I gave myself not to help, is actually a proof that deep down, I can help, I should help and I want to help. Otherwise, I would not be thinking of reasons to justify my actions of not helping.
There are many people around us who need our help and kindness, it is not difficult to spot them if we keep a lookout. When the time comes, are we going to give ourselves reasons on why we can't help when actually we can and want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment