Saturday, May 7, 2016

Tribute to My Mum

My mum used to be very strict when I was a young boy, caning was a common thing when I infringe on the house rules (and my mum had very stringent house rules). My mum was lowly educated so she never guided me on my school work. My mum's (and dad's) pay were very low so I never had tuition either. My mum tasked me to do housework from a young age and arranged for me to take up vacation jobs during the school holidays, as early as I was in primary school. In 20+ years growing up, my mum brought me only once to Thailand for a short holiday trip. My mum never gave me much as compared to my friends' mums, but without my mum, I would be less of a person I am today. 

My mum taught me kindness, that we should help people whenever we can. My mum taught me manners, graciousness and generosity. She would never visited someone in their homes without bringing a small gift. While not having much herself, she would still insist on treating friends/ relatives whenever we eat together. That really sunk into me that kinship and people relationships are all above money. My mum taught me discipline, toys must be placed back in their original position after I played with them. My mum taught me essential life skills, independence and responsibilities, through the housework, vacation jobs and managing my school work. My mum taught me to work hard for what I wish to achieve in life, she led by example by taking on 2 jobs and worked on weekend, to make ends meet. My mum taught me trust, she would just leave a bag of $2 notes and asked me to take whatever I need for my school allowance. 

My mum never gave me a lot of things I want, but she has given me all that I need to go far in life. I am thankful for everything she has not given me and everything she has given me, because who I am today is shaped by her actions. My mum never knew what I have done for PARK & P2P but I know she is proud of me as her son. While she may not read what I have written, the gratitude I have for her as my mum lives in my heart forever.

On this special day, I wish my mum and all the wonderful mothers out there a Happy Mother's Day! There is no right or wrong or dummy guide when it comes to parenting, I know you always wanted the best for your child, within your abilities and means, and sometimes doing the best you can is just what is best for your child. Thank you mummies for the love you have given to your child, be proud of your role as a guardian angel to your child and keep up the good work, cheers <3

No comments:

Post a Comment