Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The Sweetest Durian Generation

How do we see our youth today? Arrogant? Full of themselves? Cannot take hardship? Over-protected? Whiny? I read about the labels people put on our youth, like the durian generation, whereby the parents are over-protective husks and the kids are the soft jelly durian inside. A few days earlier, as I queuing to make payment in NTUC, an Uncle in front of me was sharing with another middle aged Auntie on how ill-mannered the youths are today. He kept shaking his head through their entire conversation.
Everyone is entitled to his/ her own comments and I have no wish to debate who's right and who's wrong. We can throw all kinds of labels on our youth but we should never ever give up on them and stop believing in them, because giving up on them is like giving up on our future. If you don't believe in them, have no faith in their potential and capabilities, then the future to you will be bleak and gloomy. The youth of today will be the leaders of tomorrow, believe in them and they will reward you handsomely. If there are areas that you think they could further improve, please be patient to guide them and bring out the best in them. Criticising them and putting them down is not helping their confidence nor reaping any good out of these negative actions.
The youth of today may have it easier in terms of fulfillment of material needs but they face intense competition and stress, starting from at a young age. I forsee the age which children are being exposed to competition and stress will get lower and lower, maybe learning in future will start before the child is born. During my time, there are no pre-schools and I never attended nursery either. My childhood is all about playing with cousins, friends, in the playground or in schools. In this aspect, I don't think the children of today had it easier than me when I was a child. I am supportive of learning at a young age but it must be an enjoyable process such that the kids enjoy learning as much as they enjoy playing.
Being a durian is not a bad thing because it is one of Singaporean's favorite food. There are many grades of durians but I believe every grade has it's values, even the cheapest grade can be made into durian cakes and be enjoyed by many. Let's believe that the youth of today have the ability to take us much further than where we thought we would go. Let's await the pleasant surprises they have in store for us. Let's believe that the future will be brightened and sweetened by the durian generation :)

No comments:

Post a Comment