Friday, December 16, 2016

Counting My Blessing When I see the Bangladesh Workers

Every time I looked at the Bangladesh workers hard at work, I wondered how life would have been different for me, had I not been born in Singapore but in poorer countries like Bangladesh.
When I was crossing the traffic junction on a hot morning, I could feel that the heat was unbearable, as though I was going to melt. However, these workers are under the sun for most of the day, sometimes till late night, doing construction works or repair works. There is no aircon office environment for them, no comfortable ergonomic chair for them to rest their feet as they stand all day, no pantry where you can grab some snacks easily, no visiting of their favourite hawker/ eateries during lunch to grab their favourite food or have different variety of food (Chinese, Western, Japanese) throughout the week. Even on today, a Saturday morning, the workers are outside my flat painting the walls, under the hot sun.
We are all human beings, I am in no way more superior than a Bangladesh worker who is same age as me but because we are born in different geographical locations, I have much more blessings than them. I enjoy a higher quality of life, been given a proper education, have better nutrition and given more opportunities to progress in my work, inside a less hazardous working environment. Because I am aware of these blessing, I am thankful and I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment