Friday, December 16, 2016

Pay A Yardstick for Happiness?

If our pay is a yardstick for happiness, i.e. higher pay equal more happiness, then from my company's perspective, the office cleaners must be unhappiest while my directors will be the happiest.
Yet I see it so differently through my own eyes, the office cleaners are always smiling, asking if I have eaten, chit chatting and always engaging in happy conversations. On the other hand, the directors all look so serious, forever busy and it seems like there is only one thing on their mind, and that is work.
I once asked one of my superior why he was working so late and wouldn't his young children missed him? He replied saying they were used to it already and that he had no choice due to the overwhelming workload.
In Life, we win some we lose some and no one is a forever winner. With a higher pay comes more responsibilities which could translate to more stress and less time for family. It's a give and take thing. I believe no matter how much money we are earning, the most important is to find contentment and meaning in what we are doing. Only then, will we be truly happy because we are no longer chasing what we don't need and instead fully enjoy what we are blessed with, e.g. time, health, opportunities with loved ones.
Don't admire others when you see them doing better than you, for they may have pains you never realise. Don't chase things you don't need because what you don't need will not truly satisfy you.

No comments:

Post a Comment