Thursday, October 8, 2015

Charity & Risk

Dear Friends,
I have always wanted to write about this topic but due to it's sensitive nature, I procrastinated for quite a while. I thought it is timely for me to share now, especially when we have helped to publicize for a few fundraising/ crowdsourcing campaigns lately.
Firstly, I am deeply honored and grateful for all the trust you have given me, in all the initiatives shared on P2P, it is evident from the wonderful response you gave. With this great amount of trust comes big responsibilities, I know I owe it to all our members to ensure that all these campaigns are genuine and that donations/ sponsorship are really going to those in need. My worst nightmare is to have people losing confidence in giving kindness due to one unhappy experience happening in P2P, the very place we encourage giving love and kindness.
I list 3 areas which could contain some risk when giving and I shall explain them one by one.
1. Donation of Preloved Items (local or overseas)
I have friends asking me if the beneficiaries are really in need and not reselling the items. I based my assessment on a few guidelines when reaching out to families in need:
- Is beneficiary living in a rental flat?
- Is beneficiary getting any assistance from Comcare/ social support group?
- Family background of beneficiary, single parenthood? Low income family with many children? Elderly with no kins and are unable to work?
- Why are they unable to afford all these items?
For friends who have asked for support to collect preloved items for underprivileged children/ adults overseas, I would try to find out more on their cause, their past experience and the people they are reaching out to. Basically, I will keep asking until I am convinced of what they are doing. Thereafter, I will think through on how to put the message across to our potential donors. As this concerns donation of used items that donors may not need anymore, I feel we can manage the risk well.
2. Sponsorship of Groceries/ Gifts/ newly purchased items to Charity Events
This is an area where sponsors buy new items to support charity events whereby these items will be given to the disadvantaged groups that the event is reaching out to. For most of the volunteer leaders whom I have helped to publicise for their events, I have known them for quite a while, seen all the good work they have done and trust their integrity in ensuring every cent is used for charity purpose. Also, the charity event often calls for volunteer support, donors can witness for themselves that the groceries/ gifts are being distributed to the beneficiaries. Therefore, I think we can manage the risk in this area of giving too.
3. Fundraising/ Crowdsourcing for Families with Great Financial Difficulty
This has to be the type of initiative which face the most scrutiny, especially on the intent, transparency and accountability. Just to share, I started P2P group in early 2014 and till now (late 2015), I have never allowed a single cent to be transferred to or through my personal bank account to the intended recipient. There are many friends who told me that they trusted me and wanted to transfer to me first and for me to consolidate before passing to the organizer. I have always politely declined this arrangement because I wish to remain as neutral as I can. Before sharing any fundraising campaign, I spent a considerable amount of time checking with the fundraiser to understand the objective of the fundraising, explore whether there are other ways to help besides seeking donation from public, before we finally conclude that that is the only way to go. I always try to be cautious but yet not jumping to the other extreme end of being paranoid, else we lose the whole purpose of giving, when we over-question the intent. However, I will not share any initiative for sake of sharing, if I am not totally convinced of their cause. For every initiative which I helped campaign for, my name is usually the first on the donor/ pledge list. If we (touch wood) get cheated, I will be get cheated together with you.
I know that despite the above measures, nothing is foolproof. I sometimes wonder what is going to happen when shit really happens. However, dwelling on the "worst case scenario" is counter-productive and we may miss out on many opportunities to reach to those who are really in need. In the end, I always tell myself this, our intention to help a fellow human being is pure and our conscience is clear, whatever happens in the event of a scam is never the fault of ours. We may learn a painful lesson and get bruised but we should always be proud of our spirit of giving, it is a blessing that makes our world brighter and brings more hope to humanity. Because of that, we should never extinguish this light that is inside every one of us. Thank you for being in good smile emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment