Saturday, April 15, 2017

The Story I did not Share

 The year 2014 was a fantastic year for me in terms of community service. My Project Act of Random Kindness - PARK initiative was picking up, I started this group, P2P, and together we helped many projects/ initiatives achieve their goals and reach out to those in need. I also had another group where we rally everyone to help water the drying plants everywhere in Singapore and we were all so happy when the rain finally came.
Just when life couldn't get better, I crossed path with the big 'C'. I was initially very confident of my health as I rarely fell sick and didn't want to go through a biopsy. The doctors told me that the chance of getting the illness is only 1%, considering my age and health profile. I did it anyway to get a peace of mind. The biopsy result turned out positive and I was diagnosed with the early stage of a rare and aggressive cancer. It was a period of denial followed by uncertainty and then fear, as I struggled to cope with the diagnosis. I was not the only one suffering, my family members suffered together with me. We were busy running around, seeking 2nd opinion, learning more about the illness and exploring the treatment options. Luckily, I was well covered by insurance then and only need to fork out 10% of the total treatment cost. Otherwise, the medical bills would be another burden for me.
From my own experience, I know that cancer can hit anyone and sometimes it is very unexpected. I was living a healthy lifestyle, I don't smoke or drink, I rarely fell sick and there was no family history in my entire family tree but somehow I still got it. When cancer happen to a young child, it is even more heartbreaking, because their lives have barely started. Their time should be spent on exploring the wonders of the world and not in battling this illness. It is a draining journey, waiting for test results is nerve-racking and sometimes complications kicks in during the treatment cycle. Even if results are negative, the risk and fear of relapse are always there.
I think we as fellow members of the community, can do our part to support the children suffering from cancer and their families. If I can forgo that just one meal at my favorite Japanese restaurant or miss just that one movie and use that amount to help save a life, I think it is money well spent. I hope we can all understand that we are not just donating money, we donating hope as well, to encourage these children and their families that they are not alone and many are in this battle with them.
This is my campaign to raise funds for CCF, to help the families of children cancer patients:
https://www.ccf.org.sg/giving/fundraisng_event.php?id=fundraising-for-children-with-cancer

I know I can count on all of you to make a difference. This is what makes our group great and this is what that makes every one of you special and wonderful.
Thank you for believing in kindness and thank you for spreading your love to those who need them the most. Let's build a better world for ourselves and many generation to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment