Sunday, October 2, 2016

"Singapore workers unhappiest in South-east Asia: Survey"

"Singapore workers unhappiest in South-east Asia: Survey"

This is an article published just yesterday and when I read the headline, the reasons on what could have caused the unhappiness had already popped up in my mind, perhaps coming from my own experience at work.
The train is crowded, the boss is uncaring, the work is overwhelming, there is no sense of purpose at work. While these are all valid reasons to be unhappy, have we conveniently forget the reasons to be happy?
The train system may be crowded but with Circle Line and Downtown Line operational, we save up so much time traveling from one place to another (think Bishan to Bouna Vista using NS & EW line compared to circle line). Traveling to work is now faster as compared to few years ago.
Work may be overwhelming but I still get to enjoy the weekend, like right now writing down my thoughts, while there are people in the service line working over the weekend. Some hawkers start work as early as 12 or 1 am and only stopped work at noon, a taxing almost 12 hours of shift, most of them are not young anymore. The policemen or army regulars could be working round the clock to solve cases or be involved in military exercises, they have to spent time away from their families because of their work commitment.
I may not play a big role in the organisation so my sense of purpose at work is not that strong but my income allows me to fulfill my wishes and achieve some of life's milestones with my loved ones, that is my purpose of work.
The environment can always spark off negativity, as it seems like a norm to gossip and to talk about the unhappy stuff, but don't let it disrupt your inner peace and make you spiral downwards. If there is a problem, focus on the solution, not the issue. We must take responsibilities of our happiness and not blame our unhappiness on others. For every reason to be unhappy lies a reason to be happy, find it and be good to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment