Thursday, January 26, 2017

Counting My Blessing After Meeting A Needy Elderly

Was lunching at a hawker centre when an old Auntie approached and ask me for money. At first thought, I didn't know if she was really needy or not but seeing her old age and walking with a walking stick, I decided to pass her a $5 note. She was delighted and kept thanking me.
She then sat beside me and started sharing her story. She mentioned that she was 80 years old and her husband passed away 5 years ago. She had 2 daughters who never visited her. She has heart problems and the bills were taxing. I asked if she had monthly allowance from comcare/ MSF and the benefits from the pioneer generation card. Apparently, she has all of them but minus the bills and rental, it was not much left. She mentioned that if she has extra money, she would help those who are less privileged than her. As we chatted, we broke the wall between us and I asked if she liked to have lunch, as I can buy for her, but she mentioned she will have it later as she needed a rest.
I think for someone like her, who had lived 80 years, to lower her dignity and come out asking for money must not be an easy thing. I am glad that with a small token, I made an elderly happy today. I still urge caution though, esp. when it comes to money matters. I think we should also appreciate what we have now, our health, our loved ones and the ability to fill our stomach when we are hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment